The Basildon Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Nowhere





Chris (Arcadia) popped over to help me with uploading photos to this blog. Getting there. I showed him this image of a map in thge Liverpool Street area in London. I wanted to do something similar in Basildon but worried about cost etc. He seemed to think it was feasible. I talked about my Mapping ideas and how wwe could practically do it. An auditorium/lecture thetare seems the best area so many people can come and tell us what they call each spot then we can eithertake a vote or simply choose the name that comes up the most. Chris said he felt the naming of the Norwich Lanes was wrong in that Brighton has Brighton Lanes and that the local name for lanes here is "lokes", so it should have been called the Norwich Lokes. This is good and relevant. It would be great to get all the local local names for areas and I am going to see if a local dialect book exists for that area of Essex?
It would be great to site the new map which we getmade in the middle of Northlands Park say, at a spot which we will call Nowhere. I loved the spot in Big Brother 7 which they called Nowhere. "Lea and Pete are nowhere..." Excellent.
Re mapping again.I would also like to do a psycho-geography exercise. I will print up a big wall-sized map and ask people to draw in their own 'map' ie the routes they most frequently travel. e should end up with a spirograph like drawing, which can be sa spread in the publication. It will be interesting to see how heavily some areas are frequented, no doubt the more remote zones will be very rarely visited. Or will I be wrong? Re the publication. Chris (Arcadi) suggested we get the local 'Youth" to create a page advert which promotes them and/or says what's good about their patch? Maybe we would need separate pages for rival gangs? West Side Story!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home