The Basildon Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thurs 14 Sept 06

I'm very new to this blog thing. I had saved the posted Basildon Blog on my bookmarks bar, but then, when I opened it up this morning I couldn't work out how to add a new post. What I needed to do was bookmark the blogger site, then sign in each time. OK. Got it now, I think. Went to Borders yesterday to get a stash of literary magazines as research for the Basildon Blag (working title). I had spotted a couple the day before. When I went back to buy them, having been told that I had got the Art U Need commission, I saw loads more and ended up buying seven, plus a Clarice Bean book! 'Emblem: Issue 2'; 'The illustrated Ape': Issue 11; 'The Believer: Issue 36; 'Meat Magazine': Issue 5; 'Bad Idea: Modern Storytelling': Issue 1; 'Dot,Dot, Dot': Issue 12; 'Dreams That Money Can Buy': Vol 3. Volume? Issue? I always get a bit confused by this categoriastion. How many issues = a volume? Did DTMCB not even bother then with issues? straight into volumes? In the end I felt a little dispirited/overwhelmed because there was so much out there. Whta can I add to this? Hmm. Anyway, the Basildon Blag will be a little different, and my real purpose in buying these magazines is to look at size, format, style, type of paper, typography, imagery, etc. lots of them make good use of illustration which I very much like and hope to make use of: illustrations, paintings and pictures by residents. An illustration is much more personal than a photograph. i will however start adding in photographs to this blog once I have worked out how. My next task is to try and get quotes from printers for all these different publications to get an idea of what the blag really could be. I am meeting Chris and Darren later today from artits's collective Arcadia. I would like them to work on the magazine with me. Apparently darren is a graphic design whizz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home