The Basildon Blog

Monday, September 18, 2006

Mon 18 Sept 2006

Hi blog. I had a good meeting on Friday evening with a local collective called Arcadia. They are very culturally active/proactive and count amongst their skills drawing/illustration/graphic design/record label/guerilla gigs/being very thoughtful/wearing good stuff/djing and trying to educate residents of King Street, where inciden'tally we all live, by putting books into a little window; the display changes regularly. I have noticed Kerouac's 'On The Road and George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' - or am I making that up? My memory is certainly not as good as it used to be. Anyway, I hoped to commission them in capacity of graphic technicians re the publication and all campaign fodder and also to do illustrations and painting workshops and maybe some gigs? They were very into the project and have offered to come with me for a proper weekend recce of the area in which we hope to sample all that is good or all that is bad about Northlands Park Estate. I have been considering the fact that all the outdoor events that I am planning will take place in january. Last night I was googling Container Storage. This morning it strikes me as a genius plan, that we could have some containers craned in for some of the out door events. I would like some sort of Talkaoke. Interestingly all three memebers of Arcadia have personl experience of New Towns. marie-Claire grew up in one, Thetford; Darren's family moved down from London to Billericay; Chris's link I can't remeber. Talkaoke. A round table, a compere holding the mike and tabling questions/issues; the mike is then passsed around to whoever wishes to speak. I am fascinated by the whole New Town thing and would like to spark off some debate about it with current residents, planners, original New Town residents etc. Containers. Talkaoke. Also the speed buddy event could take place in a container. I wonder if I coul dset up a container to be permanently on site throughout the project to act as my office/planning room/ a drop in spot/ a blog spot and the place where the Big Brother Diary Room ccould be? This is I feel a very good idea as it will create a focus for the whole project for the residents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home